Bi-folding Door Configuration Options
Bi-folding doors offer flexibility in order to help you maximise the space available.
With multiple different configurations available, bi-folding doors are very versatile, allowing you to choose the configuration which will most suit your needs. The available space you have will influence the number of panels you choose for your bi-folding door, and how you wish to use them.
Bi-folding door configuration options include:
- The number of door panels.
- The direction the doors open.
- Whether all panels open the same way or not.
- A master door, configured so one door panel operates independently to act as a master door. This independent panel can then be treated as a conventional back door, allowing you to go in and out without fully opening the bi-fold.
- Inward or outward opening panels – this is usually space dependent, with most people choosing an outward opening configuration, due to having more space outside, as well as ensuring the doors don’t drip inside if opened after it has rained.
- Open corner configurations are also available.
- Thresholds – low thresholds, weathered or non-weathered
2 panel bi-folding door configuration
A stylish and unique solution to replace French doors
3 panel bi-folding door set
With a master door, and all doors opening out the same way. A popular choice for many homes.
4 panel bi-folding door set – 3+1 config
Configured with a master door opening out to the left and 3 panels opening out to the right.
4 panel bi-folding door set
4 panels opening out to the right with no master door.
View Origin’s advice on door sets with an even number of panels here.
5 panel bi-folding door set
Configured with a master door opening out, with all panels opening in the same direction.
5 panel bi-folding door set – 4+1 config
Configured so that the master door opens to the left, with the other 4 panels stacking to the right.
5 panel bi-folding door set – 2+3 config
The 2+3 configuration means 2 doors slide to the left and 3 doors slide to the right, giving an element of symmetry, with a master door which can be used year round.
6 panel bi-folding door set – 3+3 config
A 6 door, opening out configuration, with a master door to the middle and 3 doors sliding right and three doors sliding left.
7 panel bi-folding door set
With an opening out master door, and all 7 panels opening in the same direction.
6 panel corner opening bi-folding door set – 3+3 config
Opening the entire corner of a room, this 3 + 3 configuration opens the room to the garden with no boundaries.
How to Achieve a Flush Threshold for Bi-fold Doors
Looking to achieve a flush threshold? Explore the difference between a weathered threshold and a non-weathered threshold and the key to getting a flush threshold without putting your home at risk of leaks and drafts.